Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: power supply vs sound?

Now I will give my less than "0" cents worth.

A good friend who is a respected music producer in classical music and responsible for the Jadis Defy 7 MKIV modification from the MKIII has always said that what you listen to is the power supply. His thoughts and ideals that he used in his tech practice and his art of being a 4 time Grammy winner for musical production was to way over build the power supply so it is barely working on over time. Some say to build with twice the current output necessary and he builds with 10 times or the thereabouts. Maybe he's crazy or maybe he's OCD but his results are a tribute to his accomplishments in audio. He also mentioned about low impedance power supplies so I guess that's what over build means to him. I do know when I saw some of the things he built from scratch and even in his tech work, he never used over expensive parts. He used run of the mill close tolerance parts over using "boutique". He actually did a test with some boutique caps I brought over and in his amps and preamp we did some changes from what he had already installed and there was a difference. Better? Not so certain as compared to different.

To him every little sonic presentation of the right volume and right timing means something. His work is very analytical and very precise(if that doesn't mean the same thing). He is more into the little nuances and sounds that are in the music material. He is a very critical and careful listener(not that we all aren't). So as he says his equipment has to be right or no job.

Bye the way, his name is Da Hong Seetoo. He has since given up doing tech work because he is never home. His responsibilities and lack of personal time to give his all to his real passion(classical music production) and it leaves almost no time between his family as well, for doing any audio tech work. But these were his thoughts. Just passing it on!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.