Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: LM317 for PP cathode biasing?

Hi DAK,

No other changes than those explained above in my post. Basically, the main difference in operating a PP amp is whether any of the output devices can switch off during some part of the operating cycle (class AB or B) or the output devices never switch off during any part of the operating cycle.

If you use one LM317 for both output devices (tubes) the pair will draw a set constant current, but either tube will draw as much current as it "wants to" statically, and dynamically one of the devices can switch off - therefore possible class AB or B operation.

If each device has its own LM317 (as if it were 2 SE amp output stages) each device will draw a set constant current and will never switch off: therefore class A operation.

Logically, class A operation yields less output power than would be possible with class AB or B, and without entering further into details like what would be the optimal primary impedance, current, etc. for a given output stage in a given class... it is more than obvious that if you plan on modifying some amp by inserting a CCS device under the cathode(s) of output tubes, this is most probably going to affect output power as well.

I am gladly going to pass on commenting the LM317 as suitable or not for CCS duty under the cathode of output tubes, and the white noise thereof, etc. I gladly leave this type of discussion to people I like to call "armchair DIYers" (no pun intended) who build one (new) amp for every approx. 10k posts they make. That's a good way to keep oneself busy - posting without building, and it helps getting things into the right perspective (like, white noise and other stuff people who build real life amps relatively often actually do not tend to notice all that much)...

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: LM317 for PP cathode biasing? - Alex Kitic 10:13:15 02/21/15 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.