Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I don't get that.

"But it doesn't make any sense. A good PP amp has much lower measured distortion than an SET. So it would seem the PP amp would be far more critical of bad components than an SET.
"

You have to ask yourself WHY does a PP amp have much lower distortion...it is only through the use of a lot of feedback. Remove the loop and you will get MUCH higher distortion...I don't think this aspect has been properly explored as to it's sonic implications...although Cheever did some work in this regard.

"This old idea that the simpler an active circuit the less it colors the signal is flawed audiophile logic. All active electronic components and some passive have non-linear operating areas. Using additional components to correct that non-linearity improves the signal fidelity and adds less distortion to the path"

This is simply false. It is only by wrapping it in feedback that you get that result. A multistage amplifier without feedback will have very high distortion. Adding more non-linear components gets a more and more non-linear system...to think otherwise is silly.

"How many recording studio are using SET amps or the solid state single transistor version? "

Irrelevant because they are drinking the orthodoxy coolaid.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.