Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: That part that bothers me more...

Hery had been through wars with Jute in the past so he saw something coming that I didn't. He was right. Regardless I can live with Jeff and his power supply idea. Two thgings really bother me though.

Firts isn't related especially to this forum. That is when guys use this place to further their name to grow a home business selling services and goods to others. I feel they often encourage others to state how great the work they did was so newbies fall into thinking they re the best to service their gear and/or buy tubes/parts from.

Second, when did tube DIY forum become the place to discuss modding/fixing commercial gear? I mean why are we dicussing repairs to Cary and such other names? We have a vintage section for that.

In the past I came here because I wanted to learn more about electronics. My work required it and I wasn't willing to go to school and start back at ohm's law. There were so many that helped, and many used monikers so I can't name them, but guys like Henry P, Mark K, Dave S, Dave C, Douglas P, etc, etc, kindly gave of their time. They never belittled me. Yet at the same time, much like with any good teacher, I knew I had to show understanding and bring my A game. I am eternaly greatful. I learned more than I think I could articulate. I'd like to think on occasions I said something that made them proud and made them feel their efforts were not wasted (probably kidding myself here).

It saddens me that I don't see that level of mentorship anymore. There are some like Naz and Paul J trying. Maybe it is more a lack of willing students? Plenty of things I still need to learn. Love a good eductaion on nested/multiple feedback loops and how to calculate output impedance/THD change. And one of these days I'd like to learn transistors and build a solid state amp.

In short I can ignore what I want. Much harder to pay attention to something that simply isn't here anymore.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.