Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I don't get that.

That being the idea that an SET has more critical component quality needs than a PP amp? A bad cap is a bad cap for example.

Are you saying the SET amp being simpler electrically is more transparent and therefore more does not mask the failings of poor components? That is a popular audiophile theory btw.

But it doesn't make any sense. A good PP amp has much lower measured distortion than an SET. So it would seem the PP amp would be far more critical of bad components than an SET.

This old idea that the simpler an active circuit the less it colors the signal is flawed audiophile logic. All active electronic components and some passive have non-linear operating areas. Using additional components to correct that non-linearity improves the signal fidelity and adds less distortion to the path. There's a balance though. Noise for example is an enemy here.

It is the advance of electronics knowledge that got us to more complex amplifier circuits. And what drove that advancement is the quest for better and better quality. So IMO, this idea that the pinnacle of amplifier design was the 1930 SET is ludicrous.

How many recording studio are using SET amps or the solid state single transistor version? I know there might be one or two small shops but lets face it, this is long dead technology in the professional world.

Edits: 01/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.