Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: obsession(s) with tiny differenences...

Them's fighting words. I don't like you either.

I used to enjoy talking here about tube audio design. It was fun to share thoughts and ideas with like-minded people. It stopped being fun when the discussion got taken over by a small number of people with personality disorders.

Like I said, either you see it or you don't.

Frankly, I don't give a damn about life-changing schematics. There are no life-changing schematics. Every meaningful tube amp schematic has been drawn; every combination of component values has been tried. It's all retrospective now.

The problem, IMHO, is that a bunch of self-important assholes have decided that their kindergarten playground shovel-diggings somehow equate to Life-Changing Art. It's crap.

Learning engineering changed my life. Learning to play piano changed my life. Sitting on the couch with my chin on my fist listening intently and seriously for the subtle differences in transient inner detail has no appeal to me.

OK, maybe it's fun for some people. I used to enjoy it, too, until I got sick of it. Let's just not pretend being a golden-ear is something profound. It ain't.

Beethoven is profound. Chopin is profound. Schubert is profound. (Vivaldi is... meh.)

Tweaking is not profound.

-Henry

Edits: 01/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.