Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Do they?

"Well it is simple really...most recordings sound like crap! "

Yes, but if it were really true that "all SS equipment sounds like crap" then it would have to be true that *every* CD, without exception, would sound like crap. I don't suppose anyone really claims that?

And even with the old vinyl recordings, made with tube equipment, the signal will have been through umpteen coupling capacitors on its route to the home record player. Where does that leave the people who claim that every coupling capacitor sounds like crap?

"There was an intersting article from the early 70s regarding the degradation in sound quality of recordings that the authors had primarily traced to the replacement of tube gear with SS gear in many studios."

I think it is generally agreed that back in the early SS days, as late as the early 70s, SS amplification had not been properly mastered. So an article from the early 70s making that comparison is not likely to be particularly relevant to the present day.

It seems to me that there is a far simpler and more economical explanation available that accounts for why some people find the sound of a vacuum tube amplifier more pleasing, despite the previous umpteen stages of amplification and processing having been solid state. Namely, that the vacuum tube amplifier is *adding* a particular colouration to the sound, that people find pleasing to the ear.

It seems much more plausible than the alternative explantion implicitly adopted by some people, which would somehow have to be that "crap to the nineteenth power" is much nicer than "crap to the 20th power."

Chris

Edits: 01/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.