Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Do they?

"I have no beef against Denon, you could replace that name with whatever and it still going to sound like crap."

The thing I never understand about these kinds of assertions about how everything that is solid state "sounds like crap" is that in the entire passage of the audio signal from the microphones in the recording studio through until the output of the home CD player, the signal will have been amplified, mixed and processed using many stages of solid-state amplification. It will probably have been through countless coupling capacitors, of which quite a few are very likely electrolytics, and none of them audiophile paper in oil, or whatever. The signal will have been though all kinds of lengths of EE standard wire, with nothing bespoke at all. And it will very likely have been subjected to huge amounts of negative feedback in the stages along its path.

After all that, then surely if the claims about solid state "sounding like crap" were true, the signal coming out of the CD player would have been so utterly ruined that it was beyond redemption?

And when someone is comparing a solid-state amplifier unfavourably against a vacuum-tube amplifier, surely what they are actually comparing is more like 20 solid-state amplifiers in succession versus 19 solid-state amplifiers and a vacuum-tube amplifier?

Chris

Edits: 01/29/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.