Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

What's happened to TDIY?

Serious discussions are a lost memory.

I used to love this forum and over the years most of us have benefitted from a balanced collection of information from experienced, technical and non technical inmates. Alas, it has slowly but surely deteriorated into a bitch fest, seized by closed minded, know it all extremists ... the way of the world I fear.

I feel sorry for the hand full of genuine people doing their best to keep this sinking boat afloat but if the moderators do not step in and take charge soon I personally see TDIY's demise, or at least its fade into irrelevance.

This is a plea for sanity. I have come to know many good people who used to post regularly but refrain because they fear that their opinions and experiences will come under attack by the bullies who have taken over this forum.

The sad part is that there are elements of truth in what most have to say, yes even the extremists. But like governments around the world, being in opposition means opposing everything, even if they secretly believe in any aspect of a particular idea.

I have a technical background, BUT I'm the first to admit that I hear things I do not have the expertise or equipment to measure and I have damn good equipment and far reaching experience! I too used to think that anyone claiming to hear a difference between cables and certain components suffered from one or more of many conditions, the placebo effect being the kindest.

My skeptical nature ensures that I question my own senses because of my desire to understand EVERYTHING I observe from a technical standpoint. However, I've come to learn that there ARE differences that from a technical standpoint don't make a lot of sense. That doesn't mean I believe everything without question, I just don't go opening my mouth until I can back what I say with real world experience. I keep an open mind until I prove it for myself, over time and more often than not involving my audio friends whose ears I trust, using some form of blind testing where I can. Are some of these differences major? No, and I've also learned that many (but not all) differences are tonal in nature which can easily be addressed in other, perhaps technically better ways.

My designs start with a solid engineering practices to provide the foundation and yes, I Sim almost everything. Not because it's the be-all but because it's one of the best modern day tools available to achieve my design goals efficiently. When I'm finished with my design and prototype it the best way I can within reason I listen and make appropriate modifications, comparing everything from the building blocks I've used to the sound and synergy of components. It doesn't mean I build the best there is to build but I, like many here, know that the result is more often much better than mega dollar commercial equipment on offer and I have had significant direct experience with such components in my own system.

I know I'm not alone in my feelings or thinking, but I often wonder just how many inmates are sick of useless arguments that cannot be won by their very nature. There is more to audio than the sound of pieces of wire, LSES PSUs and caps. Perhaps if everyone that feels remotely the same backs me on this and chimes in here we can send a serious message to the moderators and TAKE BACK OUR FORUM. OK, forgetting that last rant, get this forum back under control ... broad based and balanced PLEASE ... sigh!

Naz

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - What's happened to TDIY? - Naz 20:28:20 01/28/15 (183)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.