Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: You may have made a mistake with your modelling

No Dave, I feel your posts intentions were to instill doubt and contention into my little demostration.

The claimed cause is the low induction and capacitance in a power supply. Nothing new here.

Sorry if I am such a horrible person for wanting to see if the claimed cause and effect of the LSES actually holds together.

However you chose to stonewall me despite saying you wanted to play along. You took your simulated ball and went home.

The LSES power supply resonates in the audible region, which was demonstrated previously in a thread, which I think you were involved as well.
That thread also showed the same results with a with a different model, posted by a different member. It was inspiring and exciting to say the least.

The wiggly power supply is the frequency based feedback you are looking for, it's right there in front of you.

I was able to demonstrate, albeit a little exaggerated to make it more visible, something that I have heard over the years.

What's your problem with that?

While one might think they are good in the capacitance department, real world devices are not ideal, which is why one might benefit for a little more L and C then an ideal model shows.

I find the ear is quite sensitive to this compression, small amounts are audible. I find you can hear it at much lower levels then my simulation shows. The simulation was intended to zoom in and get some insight as to what mechanisms make inadequate supplies low fidelity.

Will more L C make all amps sound better? No, only the ones with inadequate power supplies.

Are you guaranteed to like the sound?
No, as has been mentioned before by many, some people may like the sound of a inter-modulation distortion and harmonica bass.

My personal preference or benchmark for a second capacitor in Pi filters is 450uF for ~300v B+, ideally comprised of 3 parallel 150uF caps to lower ESR.
This is suitable for amplifiers in the 1-5 watt range.

Somewhere along the line good engineering practices gives way to economics and now fashion and vanity.

Seems now some people would rather admit to using an undersized film cap but would never want to be seen using 150uF electrolytics. lol.
Function follows form for some.

They say measurements lie and to trust your ears, not to trust engineering.
I would love for them to try build an amplifier using unlabeled components and unknown voltages.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.