Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

re Bottlehead

I've heard both Bottlehead and AN gear, and think both sound great. My Bottlehead Crack is a delight.

You mention needing an attenuator between pre and amp to minimize microphonics and make the volume pot usable. I think neither will be the case. Attenuators will never reduce microphonics; once a tube has picked up and amplified physical vibrations, the damage is done, and reducing volume reduces the signal along with the microphonics. If the gain-staging is way off making the volume pot hard to use, then you have a problem with gain-staging, not the pot. Actually, I doubt that would be the case, particularly if you run the VTL in triode mode. (It should also be pretty easy to add a resistor after the wiper on the volume pot to give you more usable range on the volume knob.)

I haven't build any AN kits, but the Bottlehead instructions are the best I've ever seen, and Doc Schmalle & company are really great to work with.

Cheers,
WW
"Put on your high heeled sneakers. Baby, we''re goin'' out tonight.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.