Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Look who has gone LSES on his power supplies, in retirement years

Jeff,

some "thinking out loud" here...

What if DF went with the chokes he did as they were the closest thing to what he needed available off the shelf at that time?

the idea being that the power transformers and chokes were selected given what was available.

today we can call heyboer and custom order iron. maybe it is time to revisit L-Critical choke input power supplies. I remember you built a 4 henry on your existing core for a phono pre project... 4henries would be just about enough for choke input duty on a stereo 2a3DC amp. 8 henries would do the job for monoblocks... a different story altogether.

if you get 4 henries in a reasonable DCR (lets say 20 ohms to stick with your logic)... and you spec your PT accordingly... now you've got choke input, low mass chokes and low DCR still..

go two stages and manipulate the caps to get the dampening you like.. the second choke can be triad c40x even.

again DF didn't have the luxury of an 8 henry choke in low resistance... maybe things would be different today if he didn't have a stash of those stancor chokes or if Hammond quit making the PT he used.

TRY IT IN PSUD. I bet you'll find that you can get the same parameters you sim for with LSES.

Edits: 01/27/15

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.