Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

An Olde Amplifier Project came back home

I built these big single-ended monoblocks back in 2008 and ended up selling them to a friend since I was heading down the current hungry Magnepan path.

Well he ended up going the headphone route since he moved into a condo and doesn't want to bother the neighbors. So I managed to buy them back before they went on the chopping block.

Anyway - originally built as EL156 single-ended ultralinear amplifiers, they have since been modified to run 6550s. Other than that, the original Russian Teflons have been changed over to MIT RTXs... and 5U4GBs put in place instead of the original 5AR4s - guess he wanted a lower screen voltage for the old stock Tung Sol 6550s.

Even with loop feedback and the non-triode connection, these amplifiers sound really good - plenty of punch and low bass response. Perceived power is much higher than one would expect. Top end is clear and extended, while the midrange is nice 'n' open with plenty of detail. More of a rock 'n' roll amp - at least with my big UREI 813A speakers - than my previously built SETs.

The huge Hammond 1627SEA isn't bad - especially after a few years of break-in ;)

Nice to have 'em home.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Topic - An Olde Amplifier Project came back home - dividebytube 11:30:08 01/26/15 (1)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.