Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Sheesh!

Lew, my point isn't just that an A-B test hasn't been performed to confirm the listener's subjective belief. It's the fact that this (usually) takes place when even the simplest measurements necessary to aid in pinpointing a likely culprit is also absent. This leaves us with no real evidence, only someone saying that they *think* it sounds better or worse. That simply isn't good enough, particularly when we typically don't know exactly how the parts are being used, how the layout of the circuit might affect the results, how badly the listener *wants* to hear a difference, etc., etc. In other words, these reports simply have no credibility. They are experiments in which everything is a variable and nothing is a control. Further, while the operator is certainly free to draw whatever conclusions he wishes, subsequently telling others that such-and-such a part sounds this way or that, or worse, insisting that they must design their equipment in one particular way in order to produce "good sound" is simply nonsense.

My question to you is whether you have a theory as to why you hear differences between various diode types. Most of the characteristics that set tube rectifiers apart, such as internal resistance, peak current capability, etc. don't apply. That doesn't leave much in my opinion, and the list gets even shorter if we consider which artifacts can be reasonably transferred through the filter components. If there's really anything audible setting these amps apart, shouldn't there be some discernible difference at the B+ node while the amp is in operation? I'll just add that I've listened to a lot of amps through the years, but never heard anything I could specifically attribute to differences in SS rectifiers. That doesn't mean no one else can hear it, but the burden of proof falls on those who claim to have the golden ears. If they can't demonstrate in some way that that a difference really exists, and that it is the result of the diodes, whatever conclusions they reach are simply without merit.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.