Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Chokes and Caps

"Yes, that's the same mechanism, but you're describing what happens when the load suddenly draws less current. Under those conditions, the field collapses, and voltage at the output of the choke spikes. The opposite occurs if the load draws more current (an action that can possibly drain the last capacitor). The magnetic field then grows larger, and the choke's output voltage momentarily dips. Both these actions are the inverse of what we want."

I will have to digest this some more. However I am still seeing the output side of the choke swinging both positive and negative with respect to B+, one of those swings would have to drop the current flowing through the choke a bit releasing stabilizing emf similar to what we agree happens in an ignition coil?
I won't get to hung up on it, I will ponder and reconsider it in the future.

"To expand on this concept, there is a camp on this forum that eschews large filter caps. Regardless of the reason for that preference, reducing the values of filter caps (particularly the last cap) requires that the choke's constant current mechanism be similarly reduced. Otherwise, output voltage will swing wildly in response to the amplifier's changing current demands. The downside to these Low-C, Low-L designs includes reduced energy storage and less effective filtering, and they can be significantly more susceptible to line noise, ripple, audio-band resonances and.."

Actually I am working on some sims at the moment that correlate with this, I will my findings shortly.

"..intermodulation effects. The latter is sometimes mistaken for increased bass response and "speed."

I could see how little random high energy blips of bass could be heard. Inter-modulation with the source material would cause peaks when a transients hits on one of the wiggling B+ peaks.

△This message will self destruct in 10 seconds△

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.