Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Garg0yle 2A3 DC

The capacitor from 2A3 cathode to ground should really be 150uF, since is is sitting at 40% of B+. That would give "matching" voltage fluctuations. I stayed with 100uF so that all the caps would be the same, and none of them too big to make film caps practical. (See the Rev 1.1 diagram.)

If you remove that cap entirely, there will be a big loss in filtering, so a cap from B+ to ground would be needed, I think.

Certainly an added stage of filtering would reduce ripple; I didn't do that in order to maintain the necessary high voltage. Substituting a solid-state rectifier would provide some extra voltage, if that is needed. Cheaper than a new power transformer!

Do you have specs (especially inductance) for the Hashimoto transformer?

If the driver plate choke DC resistance is changed, the 2A3 cathode resistors may need to change to maintain the target voltages and currents.

Since I put this up as a community project, I have no problem with revisions. I think it would help everyone if changes are labeled, just so we can track the effect of variations.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Crux Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.