Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: It's Cary indeed.

If you could tell me what the current draw is on the supply, ( current of tubes in each stage ) I could PSUD2 model it, and we could jointly figure out what uF values will be good to chose from. Maybe leave it up to others on Forum to comment, with YOU having the final choice.

My rough "guess" would be to try 100 to 200 uF, but I prefer to MODEL/ simulate it. In my own tube amps, I never use over 50 uF, BUT, I also use multiple series chokes as in L1/C1/L2/C2. Let me see If I can look-up Mike Samra's post on what he did with a Cary to reduce it, it was a few years ago. We have better cap choices in late 2014.

Also, there are many makers of this new technology DC LINK cap, to name a few, WIMA, VISHAY, EPCOS, PANASONIC. The caps you use do NOT have to be round !!! You can " gut" the 1200 uF cans, and place the FAR FAR FAR better sounding DC LINKS inside, using GE Silicone 2 to hold them in place. These DC LINK caps are designed for pulsed response, which is exactly what an audio amp does, reproduces PULSED transients of the music.

I got a report today, of a St. Louis audiophile who replaced his Solen film caps banks with a 50 uF 800 VDC DC LINKS, and he said there was much more definition with the DC LINKS !! ( all DHT Type 45 amp ). No comparison. Its a bold new world in audio ...today !!

Jeff Medwin

Edits: 12/18/14 12/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.