Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

No,

All power supplies do not sound the same.

In fact a power supply with additional filter capacitance will better handle peaks.

And as I said, power supply impedance effects the so called "sound" especially in SET's.

Let's just be clear on what a LSES is and how it works. It is not a "properly designed" power supply for the intended load. It is current starved and that is exactly what produces the desired effect - artificial dynamics.

You could argue successfully that if turning an amplifier into a dynamics processor is the goal, then the power supply IS "properly designed" for that purpose.

What ever.

Again just be clear on how a LSES works and what in turn it does to the amplified audio signal. If that's what you want, then the LSES is in fact an elegant way to synthesize dynamics without resorting to analog VCA technologies, aka DBX, or digital processing techniques.

P.S. There is never a panacea in engineering either. The artificial dynamics boost comes at a price - more ripple induced hum and possibly more clipping.

Edits: 12/17/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Herbie's Audio Lab  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • No, - gusser 13:36:41 12/17/14 (5)
    • RE: No, - rage 07:33:33 12/18/14 (4)
      • RE: No, - gusser 13:07:45 12/18/14 (3)
        • RE: No, - rage 13:28:46 12/18/14 (2)
          • RE: No, - gusser 13:40:36 12/18/14 (1)
            • RE: No, - drlowmu 17:09:28 12/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.