Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Some ideas.....

First it is obvious that someone tried to upgrade it albeit rather sloppily. The first thing I would do is convert the grounding system to a star ground system using a solid, tinned copper buss bar wire of about 12 awg. This buss bar would be connected to the chassis at only one point (preferably the large can filter cap where you see the splash of solder to the chassis). This is the star ground. The 110V AC green ground lead, the CT of the power transformer, the speaker common of the output transformer all connect to this point. The buss bar would travel from the input jack to the large can filter capacitor which would be the only ONE ground point on the chassis. All grounded resistors and capacitors would connect to this buss wire throughout the amp instead of the chassis here and there. I would insulate the input jacks using Switchcraft 3505F or similar input jacks and a nylon shoulder washer on one side and a flat washer on the other side of the input jacks. The ground stud would connect to the buss bar wire. This would make the chassis a SHIELD not a conducting ground. I would install a Cinch 141Y bakelite connector as speaker output connector. M.B.
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.