Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Oops..........

Well I guess the filaments of at least some tubes are tougher than I thought they would be. I was trying out a different driver for the 91A and I neglected to change the filament transfo. The old driver was a 310A that needs 10v, and the new driver is a 6C6 which needs 6v for the filament.
It must have been a full 5 minutes before it dawned on me what I had done. It sounded a tad strange, but I had not heard this tube before. It was when I noticed the filaments glowing brighter that I thought they should that I yelled "oh crap!" and jumped for the variac and shut it down.
I am sure I have shortened the life expectancy of those two tubes by quite a bit, but I was truly amazed that both of them still worked fine when I hooked them up to a 6v filament transfo.
This makes me curious as to how much abuse in filament voltage the average tube filament can take. I mean that was more than 50% for Pete's sake! Does anyone know for sure?
Also, this was AC on the filaments, not DC. Does that make any difference?

Edits: 12/12/14 12/12/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Topic - Oops.......... - vinnie2 12:29:44 12/12/14 (9)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.