Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: "this concept is fundamental"

"I glean from the majority of your posts that how something sounds is of no concern."

Most listening "tests" reported here and on other forums are not about how something sounds. They've been conducted in such a manner as to entirely void the supposed results. They are indeed of no concern, except for the fact they foster myth and misconceptions about the value of various components and techniques.

As for the capacitors, how much signal (music) voltage on the hot side of the last filter would be a likely indicator that the cap is contributing its own character to the music? One microvolt? One hundred microvolts? Ten millivolts? I think the answer could be derived with a series of legitimate listening tests, but that would be extremely time consuming, expensive, and a lot of hard work. Surely there's a ratio where audibility would seem doubtful. For example, if the final amplifier tube outputs 200v rms at its anode, say at 1 kHz, and the last filter cap exhibits one microvolt across its terminals, can we dismiss the cap as inaudible? The ratio under those conditions between the desired signal and the undesired signal at the cap (assuming the microvolt of capacitor signal consists wholly of distortion) would be 166 dB. Does anyone believe we can hear distortion or color at -166 dB?

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: "this concept is fundamental" - Triode_Kingdom 12:16:44 12/04/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.