Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Found an amp that beats my se300b ......

and wouldn't you know, it's another 300B. This one is the 91A Joe Roberts published the schem for in Sound Practices a long time ago.

I had finally got enough hum out of the pp 2a3 bread board unit to hear that I did not like it better than my 300B, so I took the bread board apart and was looking for another project.

Rummaging through my tube stash I found some we310a and 328a tubes, and I had always wanted to try a version of Joe's amp using the western electric drivers.

I really like what I am hearing so far, and it only has my test mule 125ese opts in it now. I also need to try some small mods that Gordon Rankin posted many years ago for Joe's amp. I also need to get another 300b so I can a/b my old 300b and this one and make sure it does sound better before I build it. I am using the we328a at the monemt, but I still want to try the 310a as well. They are supposed to be the same tube except for the filament voltage, but I want to hear it for myself.

If everything keeps sounding as good as it does now I will probably pull the Magnequest FS030 opts from my old amp and try them in the 91a. Ought to kick it up that last 5 or 10% and make it the best amp I have put together to date.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Found an amp that beats my se300b ...... - vinnie2 08:00:14 12/04/14 (11)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.