Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: How low do we have to go???

Lew,

It was not an Infinity, but rather, the Bravura designed by John Tuttle, and and marketed by FMI.

No, I see no conflict. Good question Lew. Here we are talking about solid state. With tubes, if you do it as theory would dictate, then you may not get the very best overall result. There are trade-offs one must intelligently apply, and test BY EAR, in high performance audio.

An example, the best bass will come from an output transformer with a very large core. But we know this same output transformer won't possibly have the best highs possible. The large core displays mutually-exclusive performance parameters.

The informed, intelligent designer is aware of the formulas, but instead, chooses a design that, to his sensibilities, serves the music the best.

Audio design is an art, not just a pure "by the book" science. If it was solvable by the book, we'd a had perfect tube amps when RDH-4 came out, decades ago, done by an EE. That never was the case, was it ??

Instead, ex stock brokers, and layman make some of the very best sounding amps, without EE degrees, because they can and do think out of the box, and use their EAR as the final arbitrator.

If you fully bypass to a very low frequency the Rk, you have compromised the sonics of the audio amp, just like using the output transformer with the best low end ( biggest core ) compromises the highs.

It takes artistry to do great sounding tube equipment, and an intelligent mind to select what counts the most. To me, always only two things count, is it reliable and...how it sounds.

Good subject.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How low do we have to go??? - drlowmu 15:11:55 11/24/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.