Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: A few things to consider

First, you would be talking about a very powerful machine in order to weld 1/2". I think it will be out of your budget and beyond the limits of your electrical supply (assuming we are talking about working at home).

A quality TIG set up will do a lot of things. Think of it in terms of a power supply (which ca be used for regular arc welding) and a TIG torch along with a regulator/flowmeter. For serious work you will need a water cooled torch. Figure on needing a 250 amp machine to do 1/4" aluminum and 200 amps for 3/16"

The MIG machine isn't going to be as verstile. Also feeding aluminum wire is troublesome. The MIG is faster to learn. MIG works best on clean stuff of equal thickness (IMO).

Going TIG will allow you to weld darn near any metal. You just change gas, electrode, and wire as needed. You also get a regular stick (ARC) welder thrown in for free.

Your best deals (old used stuff) will be on larger industrial type machines. The Miller 300 A/BP would be on my short list. If you have the money and want newer the syncrowave 250 is nice.

BTW, don't waste your money on a 500 dollar MIG welder if you want to do anything more than sheet metal work.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.