Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Thanks everyone (and another question)...

First, thanks to everyone for the great advice. The specific techniques I'm using right now rule out everything except aluminum and stainless steel. All my metalwork is either lathe turned or brushed, then clear anodized. Steel and brass can't be placed in the anodizing bath, which is roughly 50% sulphuric acid, and I wouldn't trust epoxy after this exposure either. Essentially, only stainless steel and aluminum can be immersed in the tank. I think this really means that a TIG welder is the only secure means to assemble a chassis when I don't want to use threaded hardware.

My question is this... If I find a used TIG welder for sale, does anyone here have the experience to tell me whether it's worth buying? I'm not talking about Chinese junk, but only something originally made by a reputable manufacturer here in the States, maybe a few years old. I'm so new at this, I can't tell the good ones from the bad. I really could use some guidance to keep me out of trouble.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.