Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

In a similar vein

I would cross over at or below 100Hz and no higher than that. Other than that, 12db passive creates a fairly significant insertion loss and also places several reactive elements in the signal path. So, if anything more than first order crossover is desired, I prefer active vs passive. I agree with the idea in principle, but there is no free lunch.

I have two systems. One is based on a Beveridge 2SW, with which I use home-made transmission line woofers, driven by a vintage Threshold solid-state amp, crossed over at 80Hz using a Dahlquist DQLP1 (18db/octave, I think) for the low pass and the internal crossover in the 2SW (slope unknown but steep) for high pass filtering. (The Bev has a built-in direct-drive amplifier.) I am surprised at how much I like this set-up, because I previously had a strong bias against active crossovers. My other system is based on a full-range ESL with no reactive elements in the signal path; I love that too, and it does sound a tad more "coherent" in the region between the low midrange and extreme low bass.

Edits: 11/20/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • In a similar vein - Lew 07:26:23 11/20/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.