Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: How low do we have to go???

#1 (theory) transients such as the thwack of a tympani or pluck of a bass guitar string actually have no practical lower limit - they have at least SOME energy pretty much all the way down.

#2 (experiment) the human ear loses sensitivity as the frequency drops, but the threshold of hearing does not meet the threshold of discomfort until 2Hz.

#3 (theory) the small signal response is relative to the parallel combination of the plate resistance and the reflected speaker load. However, the large signal response (power band) is determined by the load impedance - when the inductive impedance equals the load impedance, the tube has to deliver 1.4 times the normal current, which it usually can't if the amp is designed for maximum efficiency at the design impedance.

#4 (in my experience) A value of 3 henries per kOhm load, or around 10 henries per kOhm plate resistance, usually sounds adequate on most music most of the time but it's not hard to find occasions or music which show the limitation. Twice that makes it hard to detect as a bass-specific issue and the improvements with further inductance increase have a different, more subtle character.

#5 (in my experience) I built a parafeed preamp (6BL7 into Magnequest nickel B7s at 5K nominal) with switcheable inductance and compared 20-24-40-48 henries plate choke and a current source load. The differences were subtle but audible, and several people all came to the same conclusion - more impedance is better.

#6 (theory/experience) transformers get very big very fast when you increase inductance, and the treble response suffers, one way or another. In my experience, the best treble I've heard came from a 3K transformer with only 10 henries inductance.

Not much help, was it? :^)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: How low do we have to go??? - Paul Joppa 17:06:12 11/19/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.