Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Tried everything now... and

HI,

I changed the coupling caps, put the old grid chokes back, swapped (almost) everything, but I still have the same 'issue' with the the speaker cone on my right channel 'oscillating'.

However, I might actually not be oscillation. I never saw the effects of 'rumble' on any system. What i suspect is that by lowering the coupling cap value from .47uF to .33uF my system has become more sensitive to rumble.

When I play the system from another source, the 'oscillation' is gone. The cone only moves excessively when I use the turntable (which I do all the time). The 'other source' is a computer which then plays via an inverse RIAA, soo that all components are in place.

Why the 'rumble' is only present on one channel beats me however. The coupling caps are matched.

Thanks for you help. I wanted to discuss more about the theoretical benefits of grid chokes, but I think Tre summed it up already, and there is not much more to discuss. You might be right for about 5 years already about this subject.

Maybe the low resistance DC path is not the cause of the perceived benefits of grid chokes, and its just the high reactance. Grid current as a whole might be much less of a problem in practice then in theory. Maybe thats why the 'ringing' is also not so much of a problem.

NC

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Tried everything now... and - Nickel Core 13:57:46 11/18/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.