Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Anyone ever put JC's "siren's song" preamp together?

I built both the one and two quite a few years back. I was not stable and would motorboat at times. This might have been resolved with even more power supply mods. But even when things where working well the sound was to dark. The bass was muddy etc. Nothing to special to say about it.

If you want a easy bread board do a Cornet. (Dan is still using one I think) I built it one platform and separate mono with both the 12ax7's and the 6sl7's. The octals have a little more noise but sound better.(a more full body sound) I also built it without grid stop resistors and took out the cathode follower last stage and put a interstage transformer and tried various tubes in the 3rd position. If you are not a noise freak dht in this position is great. (Low rp tube because you lose the cathode followers low output impedance)

The thing never got unstable no matter what I did to it. The cathode follower removal was big jump in dynamics. So if you do want to spend the money on a interstage transformer you could just do the normal gain stage for the 3rd tube but get rid of that cathode follower.

Phono stages are about as stable as the nitro. I built a lot of them in the past and some would not even work at all. I use separate power supplies for each tube now ( Which is way over the top) but if you don"t make sure you separate the tubes with some chokes and caps.

Enjoy Tom

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.