Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

I'm not a hedonist...

A hedonist is a fun seeker. I think this article was written as a lark. I haven't built it or listened to it. I was taught that a difference amp was a noisy amp because of the summing effect of it's cathode connection and the attendant increase of the summed Johnson shot noise. Especially not recommended as the first stage of a very high gain preamp and there are two of them in series. The object it would seem IMHO is to get the gain up out of the noise and then monkey with the EQ. To get good CMMR which is why he is claiming to use two diff amps cascaded one after the other that they would entail quite a bit of tweaking because it's impossible to make both side of the tube that PERFECT. If you test most dual triodes then they vary as to transconductance. I didn't find any balancing measures to null out the imbalance. Just my 2 cents. Moe
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • I'm not a hedonist... - mobiasloop 08:34:33 11/16/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.