Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: At that price...

I know you meant that in jest Al, even though you're probably being literal.

But think about it - each mono attenuator has 48 SMD resistors installed. My entire order, custom, required 288 SMD resistors to be soldered. Then there's the parts cost.... If somebody asked me to make them a custom part like that, I'd have to charge even more to make it worth my time.

I think I did pretty well, considering. Again, there _are_ no 1K stepped attenuators out there, so ~120 a piece is reasonable I think.

At any rate, I get your point. Most projects of mine would never get that kind of luxury item installed, but the whole design philosophy for the amp I'm currently building is 'cost, size, efficiency, no object'. No small wonder I've racked up around $10K in parts and services on this thing so far. This is my end-all be-all amp, once I'm done with that I can go back to restoring and modding my vintage stuff.

Cheers,

SF

- BTW - did you happen to notice in that chart that there are a couple of positions that have the same values? This is probably due to availability of resistor values.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  McShane Design  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: At that price... - Sherwood Forest 09:23:07 11/11/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.