Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Basically vibration inside a hollow vacumn. The tail wags the dog!

The rigidity of the internal construction of the tube, the posts and the mica washers/wafers. For instance compare a 12ax7a/7025 with a 12bz7. The 12bz7 was designed as a TV oscillator and sync seperator but it has the same gain as a 12ax7a, twice the transconductance and half the plate resistance BUT notice the stack of mica wafers (many more in the 12ax7) and the size of the posts supporting the structures of the tube. The 12ax7 is better damped. Also though we can't see them the heater maybe wound differently inside the cathode. All of this is a tail wagging the dog and it's a matter of DAMPING those tail wags. Acoustic feedback from the speakers, semi tractor trailers and trains near your home, heavy stampers (I have a daughter this is Miss congeniality but can't walk without shaking the house) all contribute. Moe
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • Basically vibration inside a hollow vacumn. The tail wags the dog! - mobiasloop 07:58:41 10/27/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.