Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: What is the "sound" of microphonic tubes?

As you may know now there are levels of microphonic tubes. Like Al said depending on the type of tube and where it is in the circuit they can cause feedback (like from a PA system -squeal) you have tubes now that when you tap on them they make audible noise in the speaker; both are types of microphonic behavior.

When you change a tube it almost always sounds different obviously the same brand/type/run of tube will sound most similar. I would remove ANY tube with any type of microphonic behavior. The sound you get with the replacement will have many variables as you probably know.

In the end you'll decide the cost/benefit factor yourself and weigh all the data. I would replace any microphonic tube and the louder you play your system the more important it is IMO. I'd be less likely to replace a microphonic tube in a headphone only setup. The sound won't get back to the microphonc tube in a headphone system.

Like a turntable susceptible to feedback there are other [potential] ways than just the sound from the speakers feeding back to affect a microphonic tube and its system. Good luck.

ET
ET

"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do suck seed" - Curly Howard 1936

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Western Glow Tube Service  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: What is the "sound" of microphonic tubes? - Awe-d-o-file 16:07:06 10/26/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.