Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: LM317 as a CCS , how to?

If one wants to set a constant current for a tube, and the CCS is going to be under the cathode, in my view there is going to be little difference between a "simple" (the circuitry inside is actually not so simple at all) IC like LM317, and some "elaborate" (actually simpler than the IC in terms of number of elements, most probably) discrete components solution - is going to be marginal, if any. Likewise, some claim being able to hear the difference between LM317 and TL783 in that position, but to me it is marginal if not placebo.

Besides the simplicity of implementation, parts count, and reliability, what matters is the voltage drop. The LM317 requires 1.25V for current setting and probably at least 2.5V across the regulator, thus a minimum cathode voltage is going to be 3.75V for correct operation.

While some "fancy" CCS made with discrete components might be applicable as current source above the anode, where the voltage drop is not an issue, as current sink with tubes that have rather low cathode bias voltages, in the range 5V to 10V, most of those solutions are not applicable.

Simplicity is also an important part of the equation: 1 IC with a series of protective features plus 1 resistor makes for easy installation and probably higher reliability, not to mention the cost...

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Sonic Craft  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.