Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

1626 to 12v6 DIY amp questions

I have a couple of DIY mono-block amps I had been using for Ipod head phone jack amplification that used the hi gain 6GK5 to drive the 1626 output into MQ RH-40 series output transformers.

Now I am playing with them again, I need to use them with a source that will swing higher P-P voltage (don't know exactly yet the Pono line out))
So I am trying the old 6J4WA driving the 1626 (ala Darling)but I am also exploring using a 12V6 strapped triode instead of the 1626.

Question #1:How to triode the 12V6? I think I just tie Screen Grid G2 to plate (4-3) and the suppressor grid is tied to cathode internally. Is that all there is to that?

Next is driver choice...My 265V B+ and 5K 40 ma OPT tells me that I need to bias the 12V6 at about 10-13v...the 6J4WA or 6GK5 is going to swing more than that so I think I want to change driver tubes.
That's OK with me :)
I'd like to stay with 6v 7-9 novel if possible. I have 12AT7 (wire center tap 6v) 6CG7 and some others so....
Question #2: What driver would you suggest for the 12V6 in this situation?

Question #3: What else should I consider here? I'd really like to get these amps working great, I plan to get better speakers (Tekton) and I play mostly acoustic music.
thanks,
Robert
Edit: Here are 2 links to tube data
http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/079/1/12V6GT.pdf
http://www.r-type.org/pdfs/1626.pdf
I had trouble linking 2 url, I'll get it figured out

Edits: 10/25/14 10/25/14 10/25/14 10/26/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Michael Percy Audio  

Topic - 1626 to 12v6 DIY amp questions - kellymon 17:26:57 10/25/14 (8)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.