Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Q About Edcor Transformer Performance

TK,
I have not measured the response of any Edcors in my headphone amps. But I have used quite a few in headphone amps. Not knowing the tube you wish to use, plate current, power output, headphone impedance or topology I can only offer my experience.

The WSM series (10K and 15K /600, Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm) I have only had luck with in a parallel feed designs, and I have used XSM series primaries as plate chokes with good results.

The XSM (10K and 15K /600) series work well in series feed if you shoot for 1.5 watts or so. Bass drops off for me as you get close to 2 watts even with low plate resistance tubes.

The GXSE (5K or 15K /600) is what I mostly use now because they are the easiest to work with and are most forgiving swapping tubes and operating points.

Electra-Print makes some nice headphone outputs with an 80 ohm tap or so, that are three times or so GXSE cost. Magnequest’s TL-404 is excellent with plenty of output tap options but it is pricey, but well worth it.
Matt

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.