Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

AC/DC

" 'This is the reason why AC sounds better, the cathode being at the same potential.'

That statement confuses me. "

Ha, ha, you're not alone. That statement confuses me too, although maybe for a different reason. The problem for me is that there's no direct cause-and-effect link between "same potential" and better sound. No one I know of has yet demonstrated that elimination of the constant gradient across the filament is in fact the specific cause of better sound, much less offered a plausible hypothesis as to the nature of the relationship between the two. Does the filament gradient itself really alter current flow within the tube? If so, how? Until we know the answers to those questions, it must be assumed that DC supplies might be influencing the sound for another reason, one that hasn't yet been named or discussed.

All that aside, the issue you've raised appears to be related to the *average* potential that appears once we move away from the electrical center of the filament. In the DC model, the potential is greater on one side and less on the other. There's a constant gradient, which implies a constantly changing emission level as we move across the filament. With AC, the average is the same everywhere, promoting (in theory) identical *average* current draw from all parts of the filament. Whether this is the actual reason for differences in sound is anyone's guess. :)

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Analog Engineering Associates  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • AC/DC - Triode_Kingdom 11:21:57 10/25/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.