Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE:maybe mod these Ask TK

Indeed I was told when presenting my first attempts that other people have already done that approximately a decade ago. At the time those electronic transformers were more crude and operated at lower frequency, thus altering the frequency was considered necessary.

Nowadays even cheap units operate at 30kHz while the better units operate at 50-60KHz. Even the cheap ones have proved themselves as being inaudible in operation, and if adequately sized can be extremely reliable, plus the resulting voltage is much better regulated than the product of normal transformers (much less output voltage difference in respect to AC mains difference).

I have applied those to 813s which consume 10V 5A, with fantastic results, while having a low consumption for the heaters circuit and achieving a very small sized power source for them.

The sound is cleaner and more refined even than standard AC, and there is no reason not to apply this to 300B or other similar tubes. The main difficulty there is getting it to operate stable into low power loads (there is a minimum load required, and some experimenting might be needed).

You can check out the RH813 on my blog for more info and some illustrations.

http://rh-amps.blogspot.com/

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  The Cable Cooker  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE:maybe mod these Ask TK - Alex Kitic 10:11:06 10/25/14 (2)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.