Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Favorite output transformers?

Thats right Vinnie, there are very minor differences between output trannies, except for pure junkers. The big difference is in the power supplies that we hear, their iron's design and parts values..... ten times more-so important than output trannie differences !! ( In the end, we are all listening to modulated power supplies, how GOOD is yours?? )

Thats why I jokingly talk about building an amp with a good supply, and a doorbell output trannie, and have it outperform an amp with a Magnequest output. BTW, I OWN / USE a M.Q. DS-050, but I just built a 6AH4GT DC SE amp with a ( free-given to me ) pair of maybe $50.00 each / Heyboer SE outputs, and I have NO real immediate desire to swap them out at all, at least for now !!!

One other thing, in my honest opinion, you can't make good definitive judgements on clip leaded and bread-boarded amps !!!!!! Thats why I always design and build a amp as a finished product, with ALL the good wiring and good layout principles applied, short lead lengths, spacing, etc. Anything less is wasteful IMHO. YMMV, we have discussed this before.

As a recent example Vinnie, two days ago, I changed the lead out wire on some Russian bypass caps in my power supply, a ONE INCH length, to double TCSS, and I got at least a 5 to 10% performance improvement with ONE cap modded, subjectively speaking !!! This would be missing in action with a bread boardfed, clip leaded amp. Changing those bypass cap lead outs in all THREE of my amp's supply spots, I EASILY ( subjectively ) got a 15% overall amplifier improvement, that I could not, and would not, be able to obtain any other way....was pretty neat !!

Have fun!! I certainly do.

Jeff Medwin

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Schiit Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.