Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Favorite output transformers?

"The microphone will never pick up what your ears would have heard had your head been where the mic was. You might as well just go for what sounds good to you because an exact reproduction just isn't going to happen no matter what numbers you get testing your amp."

I don't see why the microphone would be likely to selectively exclude the reflected sounds in the concert hall, in contrast to the direct sounds. So as a "best attempt" at reproducing what you would have heard had your head been where the microphone was, I would have thought that trying to reproduce as accurately as possible what was recorded off the microphone would be the best bet.

But I totally agree, that if accurate reproduction is not the goal, and instead one wants to produce a sound that is pleasing to the ear, then that is perfectly fine too. Perhaps I had misinterpreted what you meant when you said

"Reflected and direct sound. They both play their part in the overall effect and are both part of the original performance. If you are not hearing both of them you are not hearing the original performance."

I had assumed you meant you were wanting to capture the original reflected sound in the concert hall, in order to recreate for your ears an experience that was as close as possible to the original performance. I was just making the point that the nearest you will get to experiencing the original reflections is to play as faithful a reproduction as possible of what comes recorded on the CD, without adding other colourations from the listening apparatus.

But as has been said, if one instead sets the goal of achieving a pleasing sound, albeit maybe less faithful to the original, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.