Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Favorite output transformers?

"What are you listening to in a concert hall Chris? Reflected and direct sound. They both play their part in the overall effect and are both part of the original performance. If you are not hearing both of them you are not hearing the original performance."

But that is my point. The recording microphones in the concert hall will already have picked up not only the direct sound, but also the reflected sounds, and furthermore they are characteristic of the specific concert hall. So you will already be hearing direct and reflected sounds when you listen to the recording on headphones. If you then add in further reflected sounds created within your own listening room when you listen on loudspeakers, then it seems like that would be "painting the lily." And what is more, these additional reflected sounds would be characteristic of your listening room, not of the original venue, and thus would seem to represent a departure from greater realism, rather than an improvement.

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.