Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Favorite output transformers?

"Sorry, not buying that. Head phones take all the reflected sounds out of the equation so what you are hearing is nothing like what you will hear when you are listening to music normally. I want to hear the final product."

This raises an interesting point, and one that I haven't thought, or read, too much about. And I don't have much experience of "serious" listening on headphones. But at first sight it would seem, surely, that the "ideal" situation is where the audio system causes the sound-pressure waves in the ears to be essentially a faithful copy of the sound-pressure waves picked up by the microphones in the concert hall or recording studio where the musical performance was taking place? In which case, headphones would seem to be likely to provide a more faithful rendition of the sound-pressure waves at the performance. Not to mention the fact that loudspeakers tend to introduce a lot of distortion.

In particular, it would seem that the "reflected sounds" you are referring to, associated with acoustic reflections in the listening room, would be tending to make the reproduction of the original performance less faithful, not more faithful?

Chris

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.