Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Ok, this one ought to really stir things up.....

IMHO, I have found that everything one does makes some difference but I believe that the two most important stages are the input stage and the output stage. The slew rate is set at the input stage voltage amplifier all other stages must follow it's rise and fall times. Most second and third stages are current mirror/impedance conversion stages. It's this ability to keep up with the input stage that separates the men from the boys. And if you introduce feedback then it's possible to make an amp that is an impossible steep mountain to climb in it's ability to keep up with the input stage voltage amp. I'm no school trained EE just a audiophile who builds his own gear and these forums are replete with OPINION but I agree with Paul Klipsch in that "...what this country needs is a good 2 watt amplifier." The first two watts are the most important watts. The second most important thing is the output stage perveance/transconductance and it's ability to damp a load current wise that is almost a dead short. And I believe that the best way to couple a amp to a reactive load speaker is through a very good transformer. There are a few good ones and a few bad ones and many many mediocre ones; you know the BELL CURVE. Moe Bias
"...the fool doth think he is wise but the wise man knows himself to be nothing but a fool." Will Shakespeare

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.