Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Russian coupling cap preference .....

I know this is very subjective, that is why I said preference. Quite a few years ago I bought a bunch of different types of Russian caps; k40-y9, K42-y2, ccr, k6f, m6f, k72 and t-3 (the letter names are what they look like to me).
I got quite a few different values for most of them except the t-3, that one is only 0.1uf at 1000v.
One of the last things I do with any piece of gear I build is have a cap rolling session for any coupling caps in the unit.
I am in the process of doing that now with the bread boarded low voltage 845.
I have tried them all at least once, and so far my favorite is a 0.1uf k40-y9, although I have to admit the k72 is pretty darn good too. I was surprised that I did not like the T-3 more than I did given all the praise it seems to have found on the net, but it sounded kind of dry to me.
I have used multiples in parallel with some of them to try larger values, but I am also finding that I prefer the lower values for a cleaner sound. With the k40 I started at 0.22uf and worked down to 0.01 then back up to 0.1 where it sounded best. It was pretty easy to hear the spot where it seemed to have the best all around sound by playing 3 or 4 different types of music at each point and listening carefully. It takes a little time, but definitely worth the trouble.
Basically I am wondering who else may have done this and what your preferences are?

Edits: 10/15/14 10/15/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Signature Sound   [ Signature Sound Lounge ]

Topic - Russian coupling cap preference ..... - vinnie2 05:38:32 10/15/14 (26)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.