Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: The Monster Amp

Hi,

Yes I designed the entire thing in the FPE program. In fact, there's nothing I used that wasn't standard as a part of their program. I have yet to experiment with importing HPGL graphics, though I may try to sneak a logo in there. The darn top plate is already pushing $850 with all the engraving and weird holes I am using.

Yes, this thing is a tweaker's delight! I am certainly the kind of person to do a lot of tube rolling, and experimentation, and I really like the fact that this design allows for that. The built in metering is, in my opinion, the key because it allows you to try new things without taking the cover off and putting one hand in your pocket as you probe around. I could swap the 6SN7 for a 6DJ8 (using a socket adapter) and be able to compare the driver voltage output, for example, all without external metering.

One cool thing is that the 10-turn dial counters allow you some degree of repeatability; you can know exactly where your bias points were at on each tube visually, so you can try different arrangements, but go back one you tried earlier with relatively little effort. The correlation between the knob's reading and the bias reading on the meter allows you to make relative observations about how much bias you need to get a tube to conduct X milliamps. It doesn't give actual usable figures, but if one tube requires the bias knob to be at 850 to reach 50ma current, and another one requires the knob to be at 675, then you can make observations about how well matched for cathode current tubes are. This will also be useful as tubes age, you can see what dial setting is required to maintain bias compared to when the tubes were new.

Thanks for the input. Nice folks like you are more than welcome to see the schematic, just PM me if interested.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Kimber Kable  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: The Monster Amp - Sherwood Forest 16:01:55 10/14/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.