Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: How to set up a 274b rectifier

If 5Hy is critical inductance for your current draw and voltage (the DCR of the choke factors in as well) then C1 can be very large without bothering the 274b.

P.S. I'm not willing to tightly define "very large" but IMO 100uf or 200uf should not be a problem at all.

BTW, the data sheet does show 4uf as the maximum capacitance for a cap input filter in conjunction with 180 ohms impedance in each plate circuit.

If you increase the impedance you can increase the capacitance.

If you decrease the impedance you must decrease the capacitance.

For a critical choke input filter the impedance requirement is negated.

A 5Hy choke has 3.77k ohms of reactance at 120Hz.

If it's not the same, I believe there is at least a direct relationship between the math that determines the maximum cap value vs. the impedance requirement WRT a cap input filter and the math that determines the maximum cap value (of C1) vs. the reactance of the input choke WRT an choke input filter.

For all I know that too is part of the meaning of "critical inductance" and you can use as big a C1 value as you want as long as the choke meets critical inductance?

P.S.S. The critical inductance value is the value needed to keep each of the two diodes contained in the 274b conducting for their whole half cycle.

Because the diodes are each on for a much longer time (vs. a cap input filter) the current through the 274b can stay low (just a little over load current) and still replenish C1 without drawing too much current through the 274b.

Making sure there isn't too much current through the 274b is what all these requirements are in place for.

Tre'
Have Fun and Enjoy the Music
"Still Working the Problem"

Edits: 10/10/14 10/10/14 10/10/14 10/10/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  VH Audio  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.