Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: 6N1P Characteristics

I'm a big fan of that tube for a driver, and I have a large collection (~200) of them. It's true what others say about the EV versions being the ones to get, however I've never found a way to accurately test them on my US made tester (Heathkit TT-1). I think that is because they take a relatively high B+ and low bias point to get them in the more linear region of the curves. I was running mine at about -3V bias about 220V on the plate at around 9-10ma. They seemed to be a lot closer in the actual circuit than they measured on the tester. I think that is because the tester was testing in the very toe of the plate curves.

The best sounding 6N1P variant I've found are the 1960's era 6N1P-Es, with the flat black plates, and the triple micas. The only ones I've seen are from the Novosibirsk factory (pentagram logo). However, they are pretty much unobtanium now, and when you do find them, they go for relatively big bucks. The 2nd best, and you can still find them pretty cheap if you look, are the 70's vintage 6N1P-EVs from the Voskhod/Kaluga factory (rocket logo). I find the Novosibirsk flat plates to be very controlled yet dynamic, and the Voskhod box plates to have a lush, almost "technicolor" presentation to them. Here's a link to a bilingual data sheet. Edit: Avoid the 6N1P-Is as they are designed for impulse mode.

twystd

Edits: 09/18/14 09/18/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers   [ K&K Audio / Lundahl Transformers Forum ]

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.