Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

Some times less is more ........

Don't let all the clip leads fool you; the front end shown in the photo above is comprised of only one 6bq5 in triode mode per channel, three resistors per channel and one cap per channel if you don't count the filament resistors. It doesn't have driver tubes because it depends on the line stage to drive it. The psu is seen in the background, but even it could be smaller if I used modern filter caps. I just used what I had on hand to bread-board it.

It sounds great and it is 2 watts per channel with one 6bq5. If you need more watts the second page of the link below shows how to daisy chain up to 5 of them for up to 10 watts.

I have not a/b tested it against my true SE triode amps yet, but from what I have heard so far I think it will give them a run for their money. I think one of the reasons it sounds so good is that there is so little extra stuff in the signal path. The KISS principle at it's best.

If any one is looking for an easy to build, inexpensive, great sounding tube amp you might want to read through the article that is linked below.

Edits: 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/15/14 09/16/14 09/16/14 09/16/14

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Amplified Parts  

Topic - Some times less is more ........ - vinnie2 10:52:14 09/15/14 (12)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.