Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: Cathode Follower Output

That's good to hear. My goal in pursuing this is to make use of more unusual triodes like the 829B that normally wouldn't perform well in SE, or that would be cumbersome to use for one reason or another. Using them as followers resolves linearity issues, but driving them to their usual output power would require an extremely high voltage swing on the grid. So, I'm thinking about using them at the 0.5-1W level, strictly as headphone amps. Even at that, the required swing with a 5K OPT is pretty large, but it should be manageable with a 6SN7 driver and +400 driver supply. To spice up the cosmetics, I'm also thinking about attaching nice finned anode radiators, and I want to simply ground the anodes to the chassis directly behind the tubes in order to avoid the usual shock hazard. The output tubes (and maybe the drivers) would be powered with a negative supply at the cathodes, rather than the typical B+ supply. There are other tubes with unusual shapes and styles that would also look good in this sort of arrangement. I'm concerned as to why no one has done this before (?), so I'm hoping to get a better handle on all the pros and cons before I start the actual work. Thanks for your input!

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Atma-Sphere Music Systems, Inc.  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.