Home Tube DIY Asylum

Do It Yourself (DIY) paradise for tube and SET project builders.

RE: I don't ...RE: I Think You're Good to Go...

Yes, I see the problem - we are used to think of power supplies as suppliers of something, that is as sources of unidirectional current. But if it's a real voltage source, it will provide whatever current is needed - positive or negative - to maintain the voltage. In the current case, it seems the bias "supply" is actually a sink at DC.

We certainly expect our power supplies to take negative current at audio frequencies - otherwise SETs would not work! The difference here is the need for negative DC.

Elsewhere in this thread there's a discussion of the circuit with cathode resistor bias - so the negative bias supply is zero volts and the ground is the power supply. This power supply is capable of DC in either direction, no sweat.

OBTW, this reminds me of the time when many were using battery bias in the grid line, and found that sometimes the battery would rupture - from being overcharged.

This post is made possible by the generous support of people like you and our sponsors:
  Parts Connexion  

Follow Ups Full Thread
Follow Ups
  • RE: I don't ...RE: I Think You're Good to Go... - Paul Joppa 22:32:02 09/09/14 (0)

FAQ

Post a Message!

Forgot Password?
Moniker (Username):
Password (Optional):
  Remember my Moniker & Password  (What's this?)    Eat Me
E-Mail (Optional):
Subject:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Upload Image:
E-mail Replies:  Automagically notify you when someone responds.